Rātā Medical was established in 2015, when two smaller practices of experienced GPs joined forces.
Who we are:
Drs Rob Riley, Mike Mawdsley and Vivien Edge are three of the original GPs who established Rātā, now joined permanently by Dr Jo Tooby.
In June 2018 we welcome Claire Olsson, as a new doctor at the practice.
As well as the five GPs we have five Practice Nurses, five Receptionists and a Manager; a wealth of combined experience.
We aim to be inclusive and to help you achieve wellness. We welcome individuals at any age and stage of life. We seek to provide a friendly and happy environment in which to provide care for you.
- Rātā is located in central Nelson.
- provides General Practice services to enrolled patients and casual visitors (where appropriate).
- we work closely with the Nelson Bays PHO (Primary Health Organisation) to enable access to a wide range of other Primary Health Services.
- Primary care is supported by the secondary services at Nelson Public Hospital. We have strong lines of communication for referrals, advice and advocacy on your behalf in the wider health system.
- purpose built health centre.
- spacious rooms and a pleasant environment to visit and work in.
- the light and airy waiting room has comfortable seating, plenty of reading material and a children's area to one side.
- Rātā Medical is conveniently situated in Nelson at 127 Collingwood St.
- there is ample patient parking.
- in the close vicinity are two pharmacies, Pacific Radiology (within 100 metres at 105 Collingwood St), and Medlab Laboratory Testing (two blocks away at 63 Collingwood St).
We fly a flag most days, usually relating the choice to some National or International event. People enjoy trying to guess!